Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Four years ago . . .

It was a little over four years ago I hopped on a plane to Colorado full of hope and excitement and ready to spend 3 days campaigning for John Kerry in the neighborhoods of Denver. I knocked on a lot of doors, handed out fliers, made phone calls, and helped register people to vote. The whole time I was sick to my stomach -- I thought from the nerves of trying to get Kerry into the white house. Turns out, my queezy stomach was morning sickness. On election night four years ago Grady and I sat on the couch in our basement in shock -- we were pregnant and Bush was about to get re-elected. We considered moving to Canada but with a new baby on the way, we felt compelled to stay put, close to family. Both Grady and I tried not to get our hopes up this time after being terribly disappointed in 2000 and 2004. But in 2008 I am happy to announce that my faith in this country and its people has been renewed. We are so proud and grateful that the first president elected after our kids were born is Barak Obama. He is smart, he is inspiring, he is committed to getting our country back on track, and, perhaps most significant for me, he is black. Seeing the type of discrimination that is still very real and very much alive today through the eyes of my clients made me skeptical that our country could do this - that we could elect a black man. The fact that younger voters exceeded expectations of voter turn out and overwhelmingly supported Obama gives me great hope that our country will continue to move in the right direction, away from prejudice. By the time Annie and Harry are able to vote, I hope it seems a uneventful fact that that a long time ago, in 2008, the country made history by electing a person of color. That, as grown ups, my kids won't think twice about putting a black man (and hopefully a woman at some point soon) into the highest executive office in our country will be a true sign of progress.

No comments: